In Memory

One Year Later...
Six Carolina alumni lost their lives in last year's terrorists attacks. On Sept. 11, the University held a convocation on Polk Place, a volunteer fair encouraging public service and an evening candlelight vigil to remember the victims.

Alumni Lost
Two were passengers on separate flights; two worked in the same firm, Cantor Fitzgerald, graduating 15 years apart. One represented the 52 alumni of Kenan-Flagler Business School who had current work addresses at the World Trade Center. One had ties to Carolina covering at least four generations. The following are their remarkable stories. — Regina Oliver '75

Karleton Douglas Beye Fyfe '92 rarely traveled on business. He had been working as a financial analyst with the John Hancock Co. for nine months when he boarded American Airlines Flight 11, leaving his wife, Haven Conley Fyfe '94, and 19-month-old son Jackson behind in their Brookline, Mass., home.

Fyfe, who grew up in Durham with his older sister, Tiffany Tanguilig '89, inspired many people in his 31 years. In the days following Sept. 11, two people who knew him well — his uncle, Bill Tammeus, and a friend from UNC, Eric Schellhorn '92 (MA) — published essays reflecting on Fyfe's quiet wit, quick intelligence and unusual ability to say the right thing at the right time.

"When Karleton went to college, he made huge numbers of friends, all of whom, it seemed, showed up at his wedding in 1994," Tammeus wrote in The Kansas City Star. "What good, loving, wonderful people came into Karleton's circle. How he looked forward to staying in touch with them."

Schellhorn had been Fyfe's best man in that wedding. In an essay in The News & Observer, he recalled Fyfe's deftness with words and kind touch with people. "There are people you're proud to call friends, and then there are people whose friend you're proud to be," Schellhorn wrote. "I always felt I got the better end of our bargain." Schellhorn recalled getting the flu on the morning of Fyfe's wedding, passing out cold mid-ceremony, and later, "the vows exchanged in my absence, he ... threw his arms around me, and said, without a trace of annoyance, 'Thanks for giving us the only wedding video in history that'll be worth watching in slo-mo.'

"My guess is that if he'd been watching Tuesday's events on TV at home, rather than sitting on a plane bound for Los Angeles, he would have summed everything up with a vintage understatement: 'Man, whoever did all this ... they're gonna have to give back a lot of those humanitarian awards.'"

"He was gentle but clear-eyed, analytical but whimsical," Tammeus wrote, "as you might expect from someone whose dual majors at The University of North Carolina were economics and, of all things, philosophy."

Friends of Fyfe, who was active in the GAA's Carolina Club in Boston, are preparing to set up a scholarship fund in his name at Carolina. It would go to one student each year of similar whimsy, who double-majors in economics and philosophy.

Mary Lou Hague '96 came to Carolina from Parkersburg, W.Va., a town not unlike Chapel Hill in size. Three years ago, she headed for a much bigger place — New York — and she lived life large. A financial analyst for Keefe, Bruyette & Woods Inc., she worked on the 89th floor of the second tower in the World Trade Center.

Her friend and Tri-Delta sorority sister Heather Fain '96 talked to The New York Times about her friend, about how Hague loved Michael Jackson and spent $1,500 to see him the last weekend of her life. She also loved Michael Jordan; her answering machine code was "23." The Times featured Hague on Sept. 28 in its "A Nation Challenged" compilation of profiles of the Sept. 11 victims.

In Parkersburg, as word spread that Hague was unaccounted for in the World Trade Center disaster, the town was shaken.

"You have many students, but you remember some" more than others, Roger McCune, a veteran teacher at the gifted education program at Parkersburg High School, told the Charleston (W. Va.) Daily Mail. "She is one I remember. Very polished, very poised and sure of herself. Very responsible. ... She knew back then where she wanted to go in life."

After majoring in business at UNC and before moving to New York in 1998, Hague worked in Memphis, Tenn. Her friends said she had been thinking she would like to meet a Southern guy, move back to the South and have a dog.

On the day of the attack, she made phone calls from Tower 2 after Tower 1 had been hit. One call was to her mother, Liza Adams, to tell her she was OK but scared. Adams called back and said to leave immediately. Hague said she would but then heard that instructions had come over the loudspeaker in Tower 2 for employees to stay where they were. She was very responsible. She stayed.

Afterward, Adams went to New York in hopes that her daughter might be alive. She went to the Red Cross and stood in lines with other families who were looking for their loved ones. Two of Hague's friends and sorority sisters from Chapel Hill — Fain and Elizabeth McWilliams Kimzey '96 — spent days searching for Hague, filing a missing persons report, posting pictures, going to hospitals and cleaning Hague's apartment in preparation of their friend's family.

Later, Kimzey and Fain hosted a combination cocktail party and get-together for about 50 of Hague's family and friends. The Jackson Five was on the stereo. It felt a little like the '80s again. "We wanted to make it something she would have really liked," Fain said. "I think it was a good thing for her family, but I was glad we did it just for us, too."

An endowed need-based scholarship to UNC in Hague's memory has been established by a friend. Contributions, marked for the Mary Lou Hague Scholarship, can be sent to UNC Development Office, Attn: Arthur Gregg, P.O. Box 309, Chapel Hill, N.C. 27514.

Andrew Marshall King '83 also had been at work in the World Trade Center in February 1993, when the blast at the Twin Towers killed five people and injured about 1,000 others. King, a partner and currency trader at Cantor Fitzgerald, walked down the 104 floors to the wintry street below. If he ever looked back to that day in concern, his friend from childhood, Phillip Schmitt '83, never knew about it.

"He lived," Schmitt said. "He didn't worry much. He was so dynamic. ... He'd walk into a room, buy a drink, light up a cigar and immediately the whole atmosphere in the room would change."

King worked for Cantor Fitzgerald, commuting 90 minutes or more each way from his home in Princeton, where he lived with his wife, Judy, and three children, Ce Ce, Drew and Carly. He was avid about many things; he loved golf so much that he saved the divot from his first hole-in-one, and when Drew achieved the same feat, "the recipient line on the e-mail was two pages long," his friend Thomas Pritchard said during a memorial service reported by the Princeton Packet. At least 700 people attended the service, where King's brother, Spencer, said: "Simply put, he was fuel for all our hearts. He made us all feel better."

He opted for bear hugs over handshakes and got to know people quickly, well and in high numbers. "He accomplished and experienced more in his 42 years than most people do in a lifetime," Pritchard said. In King's two years at Carolina — he transferred in after falling in love with the place during a visit to his pal, Schmitt, and majored in political science — he seemed to get to know more people than most students manage in four years, Schmitt said.

While citing King's achievements and commitment to his family and friends, the memorial service speakers also noted his unique mannerisms, the Packet reported. Judson Linville, another friend of the family, recalled King's penchant for wearing "a Carolina blue Tar Heels cap" with orange madras shorts.

"And then there was the kilt," Linville added, drawing laugher from the attendants, who recalled King's pride in his Scottish heritage and the kilt he would wear on formal occasions.

As Spencer King ended his remarks, he asked everyone to rise and repeat a refrain, because "I want [Andrew] to hear us. ... We love you, Andrew. We miss you, Andrew. We will never forget you, Andrew. God bless you, Andrew."

Ryan Kohart '98 never missed a day of work. That's how Geoffrey Kohart knew, in the aftermath of the attack on the World Trade Center, that his 26-year-old son, a stock trader with Cantor Fitzgerald, was gone.

It was a job Kohart loved, his father told The Durham Herald-Sun. He was in his office on the 104th floor of the World Trade Center's Tower 1 when the hijacked aircraft struck the tower.

"When I saw that it happened, I said to my co-workers, 'Oh my God, Ryan's up there.' They said that maybe he didn't go to work that day, but I knew he never missed a day of work," Kohart told The Herald-Sun.

Kohart also loved lacrosse. Having come to Carolina after growing up on Long Island, N.Y., he majored in political science and was a four-year letterman at UNC, a winner of the Jay Gallagher Award as the UNC lacrosse team's outstanding freshman in 1995, and he co-captained the team in his senior year. He also played three seasons with his younger brother, Brett Kohart '99, who followed him to Chapel Hill and played from 1996-99.

His family has created a memorial scholarship fund to help a future UNC lacrosse player. His father told The Herald-Sun that it is a scholarship that Kohart himself planned to create one day.

"We're hoping to be able to supply a lacrosse player with financial help," Geoffrey Kohart told the newspaper. "Ryan would have really liked that."

Kohart, the third of four boys, also loved to read, travel and collect fine wines. In his junior year, he explored Europe through the University's study-abroad program and was drawn to Florence, Italy. He returned there a few months ago with his girlfriend, Melissa White, and while there they became engaged to be married.

Kohart's father also recalls his son's passion for Carolina football. Just before the kickoff of UNC's first home game against Florida State, the nearly 60,000 fans in attendance stood quietly in a moment of silence for Ryan Kohart.

His father said, "The fact that they announced my son's name, I know he was up there, over Kenan Stadium, smiling."

Contributions to the Ryan Kohart Memorial Scholarship Fund may be sent to The Educational Foundation, care of Sue Walsh, UNC, P.O. Box 2446, Chapel Hill, N.C. 27515.

Dora Menchaca '78 (MSPH) was a research scientist with a strong maternal instinct, caring for her co-workers as well her husband and two children. "She would remind all of the men, including me, how important it was to get prostate screenings, since she had worked on a trial [for a drug to treat prostate cancer]," Dr. David Goodkin, vice president of clinical research at Amgen Inc., told the Santa Monica Mirror. "She was very upbeat, very devoted to trying to advance science, particularly to find drugs to treat cancer."

On Sept. 10, Menchaca, an associate director for Amgen, one of the nation's leading biotech firms, met with U.S. Food and Drug Administration officials. The meeting represented one step in seeking government approval for a new prostate cancer drug. When the meetings ended early, Menchaca called home to her husband, Earl Dorsey, in Santa Monica to let him know she'd be taking the next available flight.

"Whenever they had a product that was close to approval, Dora would make the trip to Washington" to meet with the FDA, said Dorsey in a story reported by Newsday.

That return trip was on American Airlines Flight 77 from Washington's Dulles Airport, the plane that hit the Pentagon.

"I was watching the accounts on TV, and I knew that Dora was on the flight," Dorsey said. Later that day, his fears were confirmed.

The couple, who met when they were both graduate students at UCLA, have two children, daughter Imani, 18, who is a freshman at the University of Portland, and son Jaryd, 5. "Dora enjoyed being home, working in her garden and making our house into a home," Dorsey told Newsday.

"Dora was a very experienced and talented woman," Goodkin told the Santa Monica Mirror. "Her job required not only scientific smarts, but leadership, and administrative ability. She was a people person, very beloved by her team members and co-workers."

More than 500 people attended a candlelight vigil at Grant Elementary School, where Menchaca's son has just begun kindergarten, in honor of Menchaca and the other victims of the terrorist attacks.

Christopher Quackenbush '79 was "a man who wore Armani suits and wore Santa suits," his brother, Michael Quackenbush '77, recalled in an interview with The Durham Herald-Sun. As a founding principal in the investment banking firm of Sandler O'Neill & Partners, with offices in the World Trade Center, he had put his wealth to work for others, an attribute recalled many times by his friends and family in the weeks since Sept. 11.

Michael recalled his brother saying: "'I'm the luckiest guy. I have the capacity now and the opportunity to do good things.'" Among those good things was his creation of the Jacob Marley Foundation; each year in its name, he took 600 children to Shea Stadium for a Mets game. The foundation's name, from Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, set the tone that Chris sought, Michael said: "Marley is the one who comes back and says to Scrooge: 'You have a responsibility to take care of people.'

"He really got a sense of joy out of it," Michael said.

Sandler O'Neill also has a reputation for community service and support of one another. When the firm reopened for business on Sept. 17, Jimmy Dunne, a managing partner, had a sign on his door: "Chris Quackenbush, missing, born Jan. 5, 1957, 195 pounds, 6 feet 4," according to a Newsday article.

"He was able to reach a lot of people," Michael said. "I'm finding out things he did."

The things Chris did included serving on UNC's Board of Visitors; his term ran through 2003. His family has numerous ties to Carolina, with his parents and three of his four siblings graduating from Carolina; his niece is a sophomore here now. His grandfather was a professor at UNC, and in 1996 Chris established, in his grandfather's name, the Albert Ray Newsome Distinguished Professorship for the Study of the South. Newsome had been a history faculty member for nearly 20 years at UNC and for 16 years had served as department chairman.

"He was tremendously giving and philanthropic, and he loved Carolina," said Arthur Gregg from UNC's Development Office. "He believed strongly in giving back." Among his more recent interests at Carolina was the restoration of Memorial Hall. He also endowed a scholarship for women's lacrosse and contributed to the renovations of Finley Golf Course, Kenan Stadium, Navy field and the softball field.

Chris, his wife, Traci and their children — Whitney, 11; Christopher James "C.J.," 9; and Kelsey, 6 — lived in Manhasset, N.Y., the home of 22 of Sept. 11's victims. "We're talking soccer fields with lots of dads missing. There was such an intensity of loss," Michael said. He estimated 2,000 people attended his brother's memorial service.

To submit an obituary, please contact

Additional online resources:

View photos from campus events

Listen to the GAA program "Understanding the Attack on America"

Find out how you can help

Search the GAA Online Alumni Directory

Search the National Obituary Archive

Last updated:

About Us
| Alumni Directory | Membership | Publications | Career Services | Travel
Clubs | Reunions | Learning | Young Alumni | Students | Parents & Family
Fan Central | On the Net | Get Involved | Members Only | GAA Home | UNC Home

Copyright General Alumni Association, 2001
E-mail the webmaster