Navigate

Other Publications

The following special reports are from the Carolina Alumni Review. At alumni.unc.edu/CARarchive, issues from the most recent five years are available to GAA members only, as a benefit of membership in the association; earlier issues in the archive are open to anyone.

History of the Chancellorship

Beginning in 1995, the Review began publishing a series of articles about the lives and times of the University’s chancellors, going back to the creation of the office at UNC in 1945 and Robert House (class of 1916), the first person to hold the office. The narrative of the lives of these leaders, and subsequent news articles about the University’s top administrator, help tell the story of Carolina’s recent history. Here’s the collection of those reports.

Answering Questions About Admissions and Financial Aid at UNC

As Carolina has become more attractive, competition at the admissions office continues to increase. The Review devotes in-depth coverage in each March/April issue to this subject, and the features and data found here go back to 1996. Topics have ranged from what it takes to compete, how financial aid works – including the creation of the Carolina Covenant, ensuring students from low-income families can graduate without debt – to how Carolina uses student essays to make admission decisions.

Carolina's Memorial to Alumni War Dead

The Carolina Alumni Memorial in Memory of Those Lost in Military Service, on Cameron Avenue between Phillips and Memorial halls, was dedicated in April 2007. The memorial’s bronze Book of Names includes pull-out panels listing names of alumni who lost their lives in battle. They are grouped alphabetically by conflict. Each biographical page includes a link for sharing additional information or comments. Photos are included as available, and photo submissions are welcomed.

This online edition of this memorial, launched in July 2010, includes a biographical page for each of the 715 alumni listed, along with a tool to search by conflict. This information was researched by the GAA’s Records Department, which began work on this project in 2002, and assembled and edited by members of the Carolina Alumni Review staff.