The Coordinator of Student Enrichment and Young Alumni Engagement (SEYAE) supports the UNC General Alumni Association’s objectives of providing enrichment opportunities for students and recent graduates through membership, events, programs and activities.
This position reports to the Director of Enrichment Programs and shares the responsibility to increase membership in the Student Alumni Association and provide support for all student membership events, programs and activities sponsored by the GAA. All team members are also full contributing members of the programs team who work collaboratively to provide programs and services to The University of North Carolina alumni, especially through the support of annual events. The successful candidate will demonstrate immense organization and prioritization skills as well as experience leading logistics and event planning for student groups, including mastering event management systems.
- Advise and support GAA-sponsored student groups in accordance with the group’s specific needs listed below. Student groups include: Student Alumni Association, Homecoming Committee, Order of the Bell Tower, Clef Hangers, Loreleis, Senior Marshals and Senior Class.
- Manage and train student interns to provide administrative support for student programming
Duties and Responsibilities
GAA-Sponsored Programs, Student Alumni Association and Order of the Bell Tower
- In collaboration with student leaders, create a strategy for continuing growth of student membership acquisition, retention and participation
- Execute strategy and plans for Senior Week after consultation with Senior Class Officers and/or Marshals
- Support GAA official student groups leaders for GAA branded student events led by official student organizations — Sunset Serenade, Holiday Concert, Hinton James Day, Exam Study Breaks, Bell Tower Relighting Ceremony, Class Banners Display and FallFest participation. Ensure strategy is well-developed, managed and executed.
- In partnership with programs outreach sub-team, discuss and execute strategy for signature GAA student activities and initiatives such as GAA Welcome, Move-In Weekend Dinner, Carolina Legacy Pinning and Ring Ceremony
- Assign students to recruit and sustain GAA Member Discount Program with local merchants to increase student appeal and perks
- Manage student-led event registrations, merchandise orders and distribution process for various programs
- Manage and support all administrative and operational duties associated with student membership
- Serve as advisor to the Homecoming Committee and lead committee selection process
- Develop student committee leaders who will create a strategic plan that enhances participation and enriches the Homecoming experience for students
- Supervise the development, planning and implementation for all committee related Homecoming programs
- Oversee the review, development and execution of the Homecoming UNC Royals selection process
- Utilize Homecoming participation to target young alumni who do not have a strong class-based identity – complementing the overall membership acquisition and retention goals of young alumni
Alumni Admissions Efforts
- Plan and execute Alumni Admissions Forum (i.e. marketing, event logistics and budgeting)
- Send annual alumni admissions letters to alumni parents of UNC applicants
- Facilitate and direct admissions requests regarding alumni admissions
Strategic Opportunities to Engage Young Alumni
- Plan opportunities for young alumni to continue engagement and passion within their first few years after graduation. When relevant, partner with the programs outreach sub-team to plan, create and execute these events and activities
- As part of advising role with the Senior Class, guide the Life After Carolina committee in planning and sustaining stronger connections between the GAA and graduating seniors as they transition to alumni
- Work with the Manager of Marketing and Advertising to:
- order promotional materials for events and giveaways
- help curate content for The Quad and other young alumni social media communications
- Support GAA campaigns to young alumni by continuously contributing ideas that target former students
- Stay abreast of young alumni trends and interests
- For all student groups, this position will need to ensure GAA compliance regarding scheduling, budgeting and marketing and alignment with the long-range plan
- As appropriate, increase cooperation and partnership among official GAA-sponsored groups and with the campus community. Coordinate with other campus student groups to improve GAA involvement and collaboration.
- Work closely with other GAA Programs areas (i.e. Outreach, Careers, Clubs, etc.) and support the larger program team’s local outreach efforts as well as special projects as assigned by the Director of Enrichment Programs
- Attend GAA Board of Directors committees as requested
- Host a GAA travel tour if requested by the President
A bachelor’s degree and prior working history is required. A master’s degree and student development theory experience is highly desired.
Special Requirements and Specific Skills Required
Excellent interpersonal skills to cultivate relationships with alumni, University friends, GAA staff and University colleagues. Experience with event coordination and planning is important. A proven ability to relate to a diverse population. Excellent writing, interpersonal communication and adept multitasking skills required; must be able to write content for external communications and internal reports with minimal supervision. Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office and proven ability to use technology tools to enhance efficiency. Must be detail oriented and able to handle telephone and email inquiries from alumni and other event attendees. Evening and weekend work will be required in addition to some travel.
A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants should submit an introductory letter, resume and professional references via email to email@example.com and include “SEYAE” in the subject line.
Please no calls, emails, faxes or visits concerning this position. Applicants advancing in the interview process will be contacted and provided with additional information. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The UNC General Alumni Association is an equal-opportunity employer and complies with all federal, state and local hiring policies.