Want an oh-so-spirited yet quite professional @alumni.unc.edu email address? Be a part of the more than 9,000 #UNCAlumni who already have one. We’re excited to be working with Google Workspace for Education to provide this free @alumni.unc.edu email account. This service is provided as a courtesy for all UNC alumni, current UNC students and associate General Alumni Association members. You know you want one, so let’s get started, shall we?
If you have an existing address
Google has changed the terms of their Google Workspace for Education with the General Alumni Association. The GAA will no longer be able to offer unlimited Gmail storage to alumni. This is a result of changes to Google’s pricing structure: Google no longer offers free unlimited storage to universities.
But don’t worry! You can keep your current Gmail account, and there are steps you can take now to prepare for this change.
Here are the basics:
- You can keep your current @alumni.unc.edu email account.
- Storage will be capped at 5GB for all accounts by January 1, 2023.
- After January 1, 2023, your email will still send and receive, even if you have not reduced your overall storage to under 5GB. However, you will not be able to edit or add documents to Google Drive and Google Photos associated with your @alumni.unc.edu account.
What we’re asking you to do before March 1, 2023
Confirm how much @alumni.unc.edu/Google storage you’re using now.
- Go to the Drive Storage section of your @alumni.unc.edu Google account to see your current storage amount.
- If you have less than 5GB of data in your @alumni account right now, there’s nothing you need to do. We’ll apply the 5GB cap on January 1. As long as your storage usage stays below 5GB, you won’t need to reduce your storage further.
- If you have more than 5GB of data in your account right now, we’ll will apply the 5 GB cap on March 1, 2023. You should begin immediately to reduce your storage down to the 5GB limit.
- If you’re using @alumni.unc.edu/Google Drive or Google Photos, move your files or save them elsewhere by January 1, 2023. After that, if you are above 5 GB, you will be able download data from Google Drive and Photos, but not upload anything. See tips from Google to help you get started.