UNC Hospitals is under investigation by the state Division of Health Services Regulation following publication of a New York Times report of the newspaper’s probe of pediatric cardiology surgery at N.C. Children’s Hospital, part of the five-hospital complex on the UNC campus.
Using secret audio recordings given to the Times, the newspaper portrayed an area of the hospital in disarray, including multiple doctors concerned about the hospital’s resources for handling surgeries on children with serious heart conditions and doubts about its chief pediatric cardiac surgeon. Some doctors questioned whether some patients’ cases should be handled elsewhere.
The Times investigation focused on a number of children who died following heart surgeries at UNC, including surgeries that had been considered low-risk.
On the recordings obtained by the newspaper, pediatric cardiologists openly discussed the issues. “It’s a nightmare right now,” the paper quoted Dr. Timothy Hoffman, chief of pediatric cardiology, as saying in a 2016 meeting. “We are in crisis, and everyone is aware of that.”
Hospital officials said in response to the article that the program “faced cultural challenges” in 2016 and 2017 but that it put improvements in place. They said the issues in those years had not affected patient care.
“While this program faced culture challenges in the 2016-2017 timeframe, we believe the Times’ criticism is overstated and does not consider the quality improvements we’ve made within this program over many years,” Dr. Wesley Burks, CEO of UNC Health Care and dean of the School of Medicine wrote in an email to hospital staff. Wesley added that “certain personnel changes were required to improve the culture and new physicians and staff were recruited.”
Interim Chancellor Kevin M. Guskiewicz issued a statement following the Times’ report: “I am deeply saddened by the stories of the families who lost their children at UNC Hospitals. Every patient deserves the very best care. Our dedicated doctors work hard each and every day to deliver on that promise. We know that UNC Healthcare is working hard to continuously improve patient care.”
Two physicians at UNC defended the program in an editorial submission to The News & Observer. Dr. Melina Kibbe, chair of the department of surgery, and Dr. Stephanie Duggins Davis ’89, chair of the department of pediatrics at the School of Medicine, wrote that the Times story “focused almost entirely on the program from three years ago, during the 2016-2017 time frame. During that period, the program experienced a number of internal cultural challenges related to personality conflicts and difficult group dynamics. Turnover and new leadership have fully addressed those issues, and the current success of the program is unprecedented.”
The hospital says that from July 2018 through May 2019 the program performed 100 surgeries with a 97 percent survival rate.
The state sent investigators to the hospital May 30, the day the article was published.
Dr. Mandy Cohen, secretary of health and human services, said state and federal investigators would probe events in the hospital in 2016 and 2017.