This position will support the UNC General Alumni Association’s outreach efforts to alumni at various stages of their lives and in various places. Carolina alumni live in all 50 states and in more than 170 countries. Nearly 100 Carolina Clubs around the world keep alumni connected to each other and to the University. Additionally, the GAA works to connect with alumni in various locations and ways outside of Carolina Clubs.
Reporting to the Director of Enrichment Programs, this position is one of two Coordinators of Outreach for Alumni, Clubs and Families that will help support local and regional outreach efforts to alumni, with emphasis on maintaining volunteer-driven Carolina Clubs and creating experiences that engage specific alumni populations, such as those with families.
Carolina Clubs foster: 1) contact and interaction among alumni; 2) an informed and enthusiastic alumni body; 3) open communication between alumni and the GAA, and thus to the greater University; and 4) the role of our alumni as ambassadors to their communities on behalf of the University and the GAA. In collaboration with the existing Coordinator of Outreach for Carolina Alumni, Clubs and Families, this position also builds strong relationships with volunteer leaders and administers tasks needed to support Carolina Clubs.
This position supports the GAA’s goals for increased enrichment programs in strategic areas within and outside of the Triangle area, working with Carolina Clubs when appropriate, leading to increased awareness among alumni that the GAA brings programs to their area to help keep them involved with and informed about the University.
A successful candidate will be a highly motivated college graduate with demonstrated volunteer management and customer service skills. S/he will have the ability to manage multiple priorities and a wide variety of tasks within deadlines and with an accurate attention to detail. S/he must have excellent writing skills and be a comfortable public speaker. Familiarity with UNC is a plus. The Coordinator of Outreach for Carolina Alumni, Clubs and Families is expected to be a full contributing member of a Programs team that works to provide programs and services to meet the growing needs of the GAA.
Specific responsibilities of this position include:
• Serve as one of the two contacts for all Carolina Club volunteers when the GAA receives support requests for registration, events, promotions and communications (print, email, social media, etc.).
• Ensure enrichment activities happen regularly (monthly, bi-monthly, annually) in various areas based on the alumni population and demographics. Will work with existing volunteer-led clubs when appropriate.
• Develop all aspects of GAA-led outreach activities including programming, communications, long-range planning, marketing and evaluation.
• Execute successful family programming, including the annual family camp weekend held in August.
• Maintain and develop administrative systems to support Carolina Clubs (examples include: maintain a database of Carolina Club activities and volunteers; develop timely and consistent communications with club leaders; and other administrative tasks that share information as appropriate internally and externally).
• Inspire and recruit volunteers to take leadership positions in the nearly 100 Carolina Clubs around the world, and in strategically determined areas without a currently active club.
• Serve as the main liaison and event lead for all current Carolina Club scholarship fundraising efforts. In addition, work to develop and increase additional scholarship events and efforts within existing Carolina Clubs.
• Respond to general inquiries from alumni about Carolina Clubs. Maintain and develop methods of keeping the general alumni body informed about and interested in their local Carolina Club.
• Weekend and evening travel required. Will attend regional events or meetings 2-3 times per month on average. Attend and/or ensure additional staffing for local and regional events, as needed.
• Prepare and manage budgets as necessary to support the various areas of responsibility.
• Work in collaboration with the other Coordinator of Outreach for Alumni, Clubs and Families to develop long-range strategic plans for outreach that identify creative changes and value-added ideas to enhance overall programming.
• Collaborate with the Manager of Marketing and Advertising, and the Communications team, to craft appropriate marketing, promotions and overall communications (print, email, social media, etc.).
• Assist in the recruitment and retention of GAA members through outreach programming efforts.
• Execute other special projects as may be assigned within the larger Programs team and the GAA.
• Represent the GAA at programs related to orientation for new students.
• Supervise one or more student interns who will assist with day-to-day operations.
• Help staff the Outreach Committee of the GAA Board of Directors and prepare appropriate reports.
• Host a GAA travel tour if requested by the President.
This position requires:
• Track record of excellent volunteer and event management
• Customer service and professional maturity
• Proven ability to be organized and multitask with attention to detail
• Ability to thrive in a team environment
• Comfort with Web-based technologies for communication, collaboration, registration and databases
• Adept at using and learning new Web-based technologies as well as multiple social media platforms
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Excellent writing skills and be a comfortable public speaker
Applicants should submit an introductory letter, resume, professional references, a salary history and links to any online work samples (if relevant) via email to email@example.com.
A review of applications is anticipated to begin mid-September. This position will remain open until filled.