The Manager of Student Enrichment and Young Alumni Engagement (SEYAE) supports the UNC General Alumni Association’s objectives of providing enrichment opportunities for students and recent graduates through membership, events, programs and activities.
This position, under the supervision of the Director of Enrichment Programs, has the primary responsibility to train and lead other (SEYAE) members in this work. The Manager must have an understanding of and practical experience with student development theory and also remain a contributor to a larger programs team that works collectively to provide programs and services for all alumni.
The successful candidate will demonstrate confidence in the ability to lead logistics and event planning for student groups, including mastering various event management systems. The ability to organize and prioritize is essential.
Supervisory and Advisory Responsibilities
- Supervise and support the development and leadership of the Programs Assistant
- In partnership with the Programs Assistant, supervise and train a cadre of student interns
- In partnership with the Programs Assistant, advise and support GAA-sponsored student groups in accordance with the group’s specific needs. Student groups include: Student Alumni Association, Homecoming Committee, Order of the Bell Tower, Clef Hangers, Loreleis, Senior Marshals, Senior Class and Yackety Yack
Overall Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement the long-range plan for student membership, all student-related activities and young alumni
- Recruit and develop student leaders for all GAA sponsored student leadership positions each renewal period
- Supervise or ensure supervision for all GAA student programs and events – on and off campus
- Provide administrative support and guidance for all GAA student sponsored groups and leaders
- Strategize and support budget development for assigned student membership, student programs and student-class activities. Effectively manage budget adhering to GAA budget guiding principles on a day-to-day basis
- After training with the Manager of Marketing, oversee student social media outlets and work with students to make sure posts are relevant and appropriate; develop marketing collateral and strategies for student activities with the Manager of Marketing. Update the GAA website as needed for assigned events, including building and editing basic Web page elements.
- Work closely with other GAA Programs areas (i.e. Careers, Clubs, Outreach, etc.) to ensure graduating seniors are involved, participating and transitioning as engaged alumni
- As appropriate, increase cooperation and partnership among official GAA-sponsored groups and with the campus community. Coordinate with other campus student groups to improve GAA involvement and collaboration.
- As appropriate, serve as the primary liaison for student groups for campus departments and external organizations.
- Acknowledge and respond to special requests and support requests from student organizations
- Coordinate logistics and ensure supervision at conferences (i.e. CASE ASAP). Facilitate student award process.
- Oversee accurate inventory of all student materials in various student areas and storage rooms.
- Oversee appropriate, timely and accurate updates to GAA calendar management (internal and external). This includes posting all events on the GAA web calendar, University calendar, the GAA’s internal Word/Excel calendar and the internal Student Engagement Master Schedule.
- Plan, collaborate and support the larger Program team’s local outreach efforts as well as special projects as assigned by the Director of Enrichment Programs and/or GAA President
- Participate via attendance and representation as requested on GAA BOD committees
- Upon the invitation of the GAA President, serve as a GAA host on an alumni tour
Additional Context Below
GAA-Sponsored Programs, Student Alumni Association and Order of the Bell Tower
- Create a strategy for positive and/or stable growth for student membership acquisition, retention and participation
- Recruit and sustain GAA Member Discount Program for local merchants to increase appeal and perks for students
- Manage event registrations, merchandise orders and distribution process for various programs
- Manage and support all administrative and operational duties associated with student membership; and marketing, along with the support of the Manager of Marketing
- Develop and manage strategy and execution for signature GAA student activities and initiatives such as Chill on the Hill, Move-In Weekend Dinner, Carolina Legacy Pinning, Ring Ceremony, Hinton James Day, Class Banners Display and Senior Week
- Develop and manage strategy and execution with GAA official student groups leaders for GAA branded student events led by official student organizations — Sunset Serenade, Holiday Concert, Exam Study Breaks, Bell Tower Relighting Ceremony and FallFest participation
- Create a strategic plan that enhances participation and enriches the Homecoming experience for students
- Serve as advisor to the Homecoming Committee and lead committee selection process
- Manage the development, planning and implementation for all committee related Homecoming programs
- Participate in the review, development and execution of the Homecoming king and queen selection process
- Utilize Homecoming participation to target young alumni who do not have a strong class-based identity – complementing the overall membership acquisition and retention goals of young alumni
Alumni Admissions Efforts
- Plan and execute Alumni Admissions Forum (i.e. marketing, event logistics and budgeting) in partnership with UNC’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions
- Complete annual alumni admissions letters to alumni parents of UNC applicants
- Facilitate miscellaneous admissions liaison requests alumni admissions activities, as appropriate
- Strategize monthly/bi-monthly opportunities for young alumni in the local Triangle area to continue engagement and passion within their first few years after graduation. When relevant, partner with the Programs team outreach sub-team to plan, create and execute these events and activities
- Advise the Senior Class’s Life After Carolina committee in order to facilitate and sustain stronger connections between the GAA and graduating seniors as they transition to alumni
- Work with the Manager of Marketing to order promotional materials for events and giveaways
- Work with the Manager of Marketing to write and/or curate content for The Quad, Carolina’s monthly young alumni e-newsletter, and support other young alumni social media communications
- Support GAA campaigns to young alumni by continuously contributing ideas that would target former students
- Stay abreast of young alumni trends and interests
A bachelor’s degree is required, master’s degree preferred. Applicants must have previous management experience and at least five years of work experience.
Special Requirements and Specific Tools/Skills Required
Excellent interpersonal skills to cultivate relationships with alumni, University friends, GAA staff and University colleagues. Experience with event coordination and planning is important. A proven ability to relate to a diverse population. Excellent writing, interpersonal communication and adept multitasking skills required; must be able to write content for external communications and internal reports with minimal supervision. Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office and proven ability to use technology tools to enhance efficiency. Must be detail oriented and able to handle telephone and email inquiries from alumni and other event attendees. Evening and weekend work will be required in addition to some travel.
A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants should submit an introductory letter, resume, professional references, a salary history and links to any online work samples via email to email@example.com and include “Student Enrichment and Young Alumni Engagement” in the subject line.
Please no calls, emails, faxes or visits concerning this position. Applicants advancing in the interview process will be contacted with additional information. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The UNC General Alumni Association is an equal-opportunity employer and complies with all federal, state and local hiring policies.