Manager of Outreach for Alumni, Clubs and Families
This position will support the UNC General Alumni Association’s outreach to alumni at various stages of their lives and in various places. This position reports to the Director of Enrichment Programs and has the primary responsibility to manage effectively and to support the efforts of the Coordinator of Clubs and the Coordinator of Alumni Networking and Outreach. The Manager must have experience creating engagement for alumni populations. This person must also drive efforts to support regional outreach to alumni, including career and networking opportunities. S/he must also assist with initiatives and provide administrative support to Carolina Clubs. The Manager of Outreach for Carolina Alumni, Clubs and Families is also a full contributing member of a programs team that works collaboratively to provide programs and services to University of North Carolina alumni, especially through the support of annual events. The successful candidate will demonstrate experience leading logistics and event planning, including mastering various event management systems. Additionally, prior experience organizing and prioritizing is essential.
Carolina alumni live in all 50 states and in more than 170 countries. Nearly 100 Carolina Clubs around the world keep alumni connected to each other and to the University. This position supports the GAA’s goals for increased enrichment programs in strategic areas within and outside of the Triangle area, working with Carolina Clubs when appropriate, leading to increased awareness among alumni that the GAA brings programs to their area to help keep them involved with and informed about the University.
Similarly, Carolina Clubs foster: 1) contact and interaction among alumni; 2) an informed and enthusiastic alumni body; 3) open communication between alumni and the GAA, and thus to the greater University; and 4) the role of our alumni as ambassadors to their communities on behalf of the University and the GAA. Although the Coordinator of Clubs will remain the primary contact, the Manager of Outreach for Alumni, Clubs and Families will also work to support some tasks needed for Carolina Clubs to excel and grow.
Specific Responsibilities of this position include:
- Supervise and support the development, leadership and strategic efforts of the Coordinator of Alumni Clubs and the Coordinator of Alumni Networking and Outreach
- Ensure enrichment activities happen regularly (monthly, bi-monthly, annually) in various areas based on the alumni population and demographics. Work with existing volunteer-led clubs when appropriate.
- Expand GAA-led outreach programming into high impact alumni areas, including leveraging Carolina club partners to better engage remote alumni
- Develop all aspects (e.g. programming, long-range planning, and evaluation) of GAA-led outreach events
- Partner with Senior Coordinator of Faculty Relations and Travel to include UNC staff and faculty at various events
- Prepare and manage budgets as necessary to support the various areas of responsibility.
- Spearhead long-range strategic plans for outreach that identify creative changes and value-added ideas to enhance overall programming. Include and invest other team members in these plans.
- Collaborate with the Manager of Marketing and Advertising, and the Communications team, to craft appropriate marketing, promotions and overall communications (print, email, social media, etc.).
- Assist in the recruitment and retention of GAA members through outreach programming efforts.
- Execute other special projects as may be assigned within the larger Programs team and the GAA.
- Represent the GAA at programs related to orientation for new students.
- Execute family programming, including the annual family camp weekend held in August.
- Serve as the staff lead for the Outreach Committee of the GAA Board of Directors and prepare appropriate reports.
- Serve as an ambassador of GAA membership growth and retention in programming efforts
- Weekend and evening travel are required. Will attend regional events or meetings 2-3 times per month on average. Attend and/or ensure additional staffing for local and regional events, as needed.
- Host a GAA travel tour if requested by the President.
A bachelor’s degree is required, master’s degree preferred. Prior professional experience managing others to successful outcomes.
Special Requirements and Specific Skills Required
A successful candidate will be a highly motivated college graduate with demonstrated volunteer management and customer service skills. S/he will have the ability to manage multiple priorities and a wide variety of tasks within deadlines and with an attention to detail. Familiarity with UNC is a plus.
Must possess strong experience with event planning. Excellent interpersonal skills to cultivate relationships with alumni, University friends, GAA staff and University colleagues. A proven ability to relate to a diverse population and thrive in a team environment. Exhibits customer service and professional maturity. Excellent writing and interpersonal communication; must be able to write content for external and internal communications with minimal supervision and be an effective public speaker. Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office and proven ability to use technology tools, including Web-based technologies, databases and social media platforms, to enhance efficiency. Must be detail oriented and able to handle telephone and email inquiries from alumni and other event attendees. Evening and weekend work will be required in addition to some travel.
A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants should submit an introductory letter, resume, professional references, a salary history and links to any online work samples via email to email@example.com and include “Outreach Manager” in the subject line.
Please no calls, emails, faxes or visits concerning this position. Applicants advancing in the interview process will be contacted and provided with additional information. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The UNC General Alumni Association is an equal-opportunity employer and complies with all federal, state and local hiring policies.