Oct. 13, 2017
The NCAA’s Committee on Infractions could not find any violations of its rules regarding academics...Read More
Aug. 21, 2017
This fall, the University will practice something it has gotten really good at: waiting for...Read More
July 25, 2017
The NCAA’s Committee on Infractions has set an Aug. 16 hearing date for what it...Read More
The dispositions of all the UNC football players named in connection with the NCAA’s and the University’s investigation apparently are settled with the announcement this week that the athletics governing body has ruled two players permanently ineligible.
No details were given as to why Devon Ramsay and Michael McAdoo were declared ineligible. Based on what is known about the investigation, it could involve improper contact with professional agents or others outside the program, or academic misconduct, or both.
The NCAA said UNC would not have to forfeit to game wins that occurred while Ramsay, a junior from Red Bank, N.J., was playing in the team’s first four games. Athletics Director Dick Baddour ’66 said the University would appeal the severity of the decision, saying “the facts of the cases simply do not support permanent ineligibility. We will aggressively appeal and are hopeful the reinstatement committee will reach the same conclusion.”
McAdoo, a junior from Antioch, Tenn., had been suspended since the start of the season.
Of 16 players mentioned in connection with the investigation, Ramsay was the only one to be suspended after the season started. In addition to Ramsay and McAdoo, two players were reinstated before the first game Sept. 4, one was dismissed from the UNC program for violations of team rules, two were declared permanently ineligible by the University for NCAA violations, three were suspended for this season but will have eligibility remaining, four were cleared during the investigation, and two others were cleared to play after serving suspensions for violations.