Navigate

UNC Completes Release of Football Probe Documents

UNC has released about 2,500 pages of documents related to the football program investigation that began more than two years ago — bringing the University into what it termed full compliance with a state Superior Court order and settlement agreement with media organizations that sought the records.

On Monday, the University rereleased and posted online its September 2011 response to the NCAA’s notice of allegations, including accompanying exhibits, together with certain reinstatement requests previously submitted to the NCAA. Some previously released documents were rereleased without editing that had made them difficult to understand.

The University also provided to attorneys for the media plaintiffs in the lawsuit transcripts of athlete interviews that were exhibits to the University’s response to the NCAA’s notice of allegations. Under the terms of the settlement agreement, the plaintiffs agreed not to post those transcripts online but may report from the records. Those media outlets also pledged in the settlement agreement not to assist any third parties in gaining access to the transcripts.

“We understand the public’s interest in this case, but from the very beginning, the University’s position has been based on the principle that we have a responsibility to protect the privacy rights of all students, not just student-athletes,” Chancellor Holden Thorp ’86 said in a statement. “That position has nothing to do with the content of the documents associated with the NCAA investigation.”

Athletics Director Bubba Cunningham said in a statement: “The University previously provided all of the documents released today to the NCAA staff before the Committee on Infractions hearing in October 2011 and the NCAA’s ruling in March 2012. We are strictly complying with the NCAA’s sanctions.”

Following are files that contain the documents made available to the public:


More online…


Share