Check out these quick and timely tips from our career coach, Catherine Tuttle.
March 2020 – Optimizing your LinkedIn profile
Are you thinking about launching a job search in 2020? If so, optimizing your presence on LinkedIn (which now has over 575 million users) should be a key part of your job search strategy. With 20 million companies listed on the site and 14 million open jobs, it’s no surprise that 90% of recruiters regularly use the site to recruit talent.
I’ve included some tips and tricks below to get you started.
- Members with profile photos get up to 21 times more profile views. Think of your photo as the first step to building your personal brand. You want to communicate that you are friendly and trustworthy.
- Your headline is the second thing people will look at when viewing your profile. Describe yourself and express your value proposition in a unique way. Your default headline will be your current job title but depending on what you hope to do in the future, that may not be the way you want to be remembered.
- Maximize your summary. To improve your search rank, include keywords that highlight your top skills (use job descriptions to identify what employers are looking for). To keep the reader’s attention, write like you speak. Make your summary more of a cover letter by talking about what you do, but also why you do it and what makes you tick.
- Ask for a recommendation (or two)! Recruiters are looking for a combination of technical skills specific to certain roles (experience with certain databases, SEO, social media expertise, etc.) but also soft skills (critical thinking, collaboration, communication, etc.). Everyone is going to say that they work well on a team and enjoy creative problem solving, but when someone takes the time to reiterate these skills on your behalf, you gain credibility.
- You can learn even more by watching our webinar on LinkedIn.